Thursday, October 23, 2008

What I Didn't Know

The decision to become a mother was one that I battled with for a long time. I was all too aware of everything that I'd have to give up; my perfect body (ha ha ha), my freedom, my independence and selfishness, just to name a few. I knew that babies took over their parents' lives, from sun-up to sun-down; trips to the mall for new designer shoes turned into trips to Wal-Mart for diapers; friday night-out dates turned into evenings-in calming a colicky baby. I knew that the average newborn spends eight hours a day feeding, needs a diaper changed about every two hours, needs baths, to be held, rocked, cleaned up after, and countless other minutiae that come to define the day.
But what I didn't know, what I really couldn't know, what no amount of book-reading or preparation could really tell me...



...is how much I'd like him. That I'd love him so much that everything I'd have to give up would pale in comparison to what I'd gain.

And it doesn't really feel like I've sacrificed anything at all.

6 comments:

Em said...

that was so sweet. make sure to put a copy of that in tj's baby book. and just wait til he can say mama. you'll just die even more than you ever thought you could...

Charisa and Trent said...

Mel I'm so happy for you guys, he's absolutely beautiful! I'm so happy you're so happy!! You're amazing and I miss you like crazy!

Nancy said...

Isn't it true? Even the worst days are okay when he screams while daddy holds him, then magically clams down as so as you take over. And the worst night is erased when you see his smile in the morning!

Kathryn said...

Being a mom is fun. And it's hard work. Just try to have fun with him. And keep taking lots of pictures.

kristin said...

I'm so proud of you Mel! I think back to the night in the driveway

(remember:)

and how things have changed so dramatically since...most importantly that you have such a handsome trophy to show for all of the doubts and fears. Talk about full circle:)

Amy said...

Well said.