Friday, September 26, 2008

A Minor Miracle Occurred, and Now We Have A Miracle

Sometime between Tuesday and Wednessday I went into active labor. The transition from cramping to contractions was so gradual and gentle, that I honestly have no idea when one left off and the other began. In fact, the build was SO gentle and gradual that I really didn't think I was even in labor for the longest time. Every story I've heard recently seems to involve a "sudden" onset; I had NOTHING sudden, other than a realization that I should probably start working on getting to the hospital.

I am going to post more on my birth experience later (because it was quite the experience), but for now I wanted to get a few teasers up:

This was the very first photo ever taken of our little Thomas Jaden Glade. He has been ex-utero for only a few moments.



I am really proud of this CONE HEAD because it PROVES that I pushed this 8lb 9oz kid out. Ha. What do Doctors really know anyway? (sorry Dr. Glade) Maybe my determination to push was augmented by having been told I was likely too small to deliver him. There's no greater incentive than being told you can't do something.
And he's got pretty dark eyes:
Still a little bleary-eyed from a REALLY TIGHT FIT:
I didn't feel so good, but I sure was proud of my work:
I can't seem to get him to hold still for pictures... Do they ever mind? Where are the instructions written, anyhow?

Rob was an all-star dad, and changed almost every single diaper while we were at the hospital. There was NO nursery, so from almost the moment TJ was evicted from Hotel Utero, he was our responsibility. Needless to say, after labor and delivery I was kinda checked out. Rob was left with all the heavy-lifting; or in this case, Meconium Space Poo wiping. He has earned his sleepless-eyes honorably.



His poor hands are all battered and bruised-up from the blood draws. He had to have SO many because he was a little hypoglycemic (don't worry, this has all resolved).

16 comments:

Ammon and Becky Sullivan said...

OOOOOOO he is soo daring! I am jealous of all that hair! I cant wait to some day meet this bundle of joy. Congrats you two,he's so cute, nice work!!

Kathryn said...

Yay for Baby TJ! So happy to see he has arrived. And what a cutie. Now Lillian and I will have to come visit so we can all meet. Congratuations!!!

Hedderg said...

Oh, I LOVE HIM SOOOOO MUCH! He could not be more perfect! He really is a cutie with his chubby cheeks and all. Mel you look like you're so in love, and Rob you look like you're going to burst with pride. Congrats again, and I cannot wait to meet little TJ!

Tami and Aaron said...

He's beautiful Mel, Congratulations!!!

Us said...

Hi Dr. Glade and Mrs. Glade...I work in the recovery room at ACH and am on facebook, which is where I saw your blog site...anyway, I saw that you were expecting, and now that your baby is here...I wanted to say congratulations! TJ is beautiful! I pushed out an 8lb 11oz-er myself, so I can sympathize. Again...beautiful & congrats!
We also have a blog:
www.ekjm.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Oh my gosh He is soooo adorable. What a hansom boy! He couldn't be any cuter and i couldn't love him more. He has so much hair and such a cute nose. Congratulation on getting him out almost on time and for the healthy boy!

Rustiroo said...

YAY! Congratulations! I love the pictures! I'm so glad the birth worked out the way it did!

I love how when you're holding him in the picture he's calm but when Rob holds him he's screaming for his life! lol

Congratulations again!

{irene} said...

Congratulations guys!!!!...he is soooo PRETTY!!!!....

Lisa said...

What great pictures! Congratulations you too, and nice work Mel! He's beautiful, and I love the name!

Mike said...

Holy crap time flew by!!! I'm just so amazed at how fast other peoples pregnancy's go. Well he is going to be loved a lot, wish i could be there to give some love too. Great job you too,
Mike

Nancy said...

Congrats! Thanks for such a prompt post...I sit waiting for news like this! Good work pushing him out! They say the cone head goes away...but...lets just say sometimes long hair on a boy is a good thing :). You look beautiful despite the delivery factions (and the always hideous gowns), a glowing mother look is SOOOO very attractive.

BERNOTSKI FAMILY said...

Happy Day! What a beautiful boy! Congratulations.

kristin said...

i miss him already...he is sooo yummy! his head has adapted well to gravity it seems and even though i initially voted for nathan i think you chose the right name.

let me know when you are ready for company, i need a fix. i promise i won't bring my kids:)

Unknown said...

Congrats you two. He looks adorable. Love the pic of TJ with his binky (sp?)

Shannon said...

hey you guys--i just wanted to say hi and CONGRATS! you all look awesome! i'm so glad everything turned out well!

Unknown said...

He's sooo cute congrats