Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Best $20 I've Ever Spent

...was on an old Singer sewing machine from the DC Craigslist. It's probably about as old as I am, and half the functions no longer work; that being said, it's a great little straight-stitcher, and the zig-zag stitch still works (bonus!). Many a project has passed through this machine (and many a pant-hem, as I am short). In an effort to maintain my flagging sanity, I spent the week finding projects.
We purchased a rocking chair at one of the Little Rock consignment sales for CHEAP! I'm guessing this was due to the fact that it had been painted Big Bird Yellow with a shiny lacquer finish (gross) and blue cushions. So I sanded the chair down (this part took the longest, but I was worried nothing would stick to that miserable shiny finish), painted it cream, and recovered the cushions in green and brown corduroy. Want to know the best part? They are reversible cushions. One side is striped, and one is solid. I'm showing you one of each side. This project burned a good 2 1/2 days, all told. And don't you love the dog pillow I found?


Next project: A crib skirt, using the extra fabric from the chair cushions, and some basic cream cotton. I now feel like I've "decorated" the nursery. It even matches.

I also made another receiving blanket--hey, if I don't need it, I'm sure there will be another little boy coming along somewhere soon (I have fertile friends)-- and then a liner for a diaper pail. My friends assure me that I do not want a Diaper Genie, and that this is really the preferred method. Hey, I'll trust the Moms Who Know.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Look at you go, crafty woman! Very cute colors. Now you just need Baby to get here. Let us know when he gets here, I'll be happy to help with dinner, lunch or whatever!

Em said...

soo darling! it'd match perfectly in charlie's nursery too. i never knew you were so talented, girl. and yes, you'll definitely be happy with your liner for your garbage can aka diaper pail.

kristin said...

A-DORABLE! I didn't know you were a seamstress either!:) Nice work sista!

Rustiroo said...

Melanie! It turned out so cute! I'm anxious to see if you actually have time to make the crib skirt BEFORE the baby comes. haha