Thursday, February 25, 2010

TJ's Room

TJ has always had the most boring room. When he was born, I never did decorate the nursery; we were living in an apartment in Little Rock, and I knew our days were so numbered, I just didn't see the point. In our current house, I haven't done much better. Very functional, but very plain:

Tuesday morning, I just couldn't take the nice, boring, creamy almond color of his walls anymore. I spent all day yesterday painting his room key-lime-meets-avocado-cream. And I have really cute fabric to make him darling bedding, and a much zippier crib skirt than he currently has. But what to do next? Look at all this wall space I have to fill (and my pictures don't even show the half of it!):

What cute (inexpensive) nursery decor ideas have you seen or done yourself? Any brilliant ideas? I've got a couple, but.... *sigh* Interior decorating always makes me feel inadequate. I'm much more comfortable in the sewing room.

Grandma Sandy and Grandpa Tom drove down for a late celebration of Rob's birthday. TJ loved having an extra set of book-readers on hand. Grandma Sandy is a sucker for TJ smiles, and will read on demand.

I walked into his room one day to find this:
He had climbed up into the rocking chair all by himself and was reading a book. Too cute.

And here is another climbing trick that is not so cute:
I can't keep him on the ground. For a long while it worked to leave all the chairs tipped over. But now he's learned how to push them back upright. There is no space too high for this child.


And here is a sneak peek at the pinwheels and turtle quilt I've been working on this week:

3 comments:

Em said...

what about some cool stenciling onto the walls? you can do it easily with tape and paint. check this out. http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2010/02/contact-paper-wallpaper.html or there's etsy with fun wall decals and fun art. i'll email you tons of my faves.

Joe and Emily said...

I say turn your mad sewing skills into decor. For example, the pinwheels look really cool. Make several much bigger versions and then mount them on something or frame them. Or, you know how painter's canvas is stretched onto a wood frame? You might be able to do that same sort of thing with the fabric using a staple gun. Then hang a bunch of them in the arrangement of your choice on the wall. The possibilities are endless.

Amy said...

What about doing some hanging wooden-letters?? You could prob gets tons of ideas, and then wind up creating them yourself. There are really fun boards with knobs that you can hang the letters from, or just stagger them on the wall. Here is a cute site:
http://www.rosenberryrooms.com/hanging-letters-for-nurseries.html