Monday, July 14, 2008

Unpleasant Discoveries, Funny Looks, Splashes, and R.I.P.

So this spring brought about the discovery of the most unpleasant sort; THIS arachnid, known as a tarantula, inhabits Arkansas. So do I. I'm not really sure that this state is big enough for both of us...

Sorry this picture is so blurry, but I was NOT going to get any closer. I really don't like spiders. I do fine with snakes, I LIKE lizards and frogs, but this is really over my limit.

People are starting to look at me funny when I run. I guess a 30-week pregnant woman in a skanky run-top is probably not the most common sight on the trail.


I laugh at the variety of reactions I get. There are those who like to tell me that I really "shouldn't be doing that"; and then there are those who think I'm cool. My doctor doesn't understand why I want to run, but he said it's fine (for those of you temped to leave comments asking me if I should be doing that).
The pictures are my before and after pictures of the Big Dam Bridge Twilight 5K I ran this weekend. We are dorks and forgot to bring the camera to the actual race with us.

Check out my cute husband:



We went waterskiing with Dr. Bower, one of Rob's attendings, last weekend. We had a great time, as is obvious from looking at Rob's face.
I took a quick turn:


And, finally, for the sad part of the story: R.I.P.
This summer, I rented a community garden plot at Two Rivers Park. I had a great time planning out what I was going to plant, plotting out what should go where, and then spent many back-breaking but fulfilling hours planting the entire plot. It was so fun to watch all the seeds sprouting and my little baby plants flourishing under the Arkansas sun.
But then the deer came. And the racoons. And the deer came back. Again. And again. And again. What they haven't eaten, they have trampled. I was way too depressed to even photo-document the ravages.

To placate my cravings for fresh fruits and veggies, I joined the Arkansas Basket A Month Club.
Check out the beautiful peaches and fresh farm milk I had for breakfast:


And just for the record, I am still mad at the deer. I'm debating becoming a deer hunter...

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Go you! You look great! I am becoming quite obsessed with running as well (I know, hard to believe!), although I'm sure you would leave me in your dust any day!

Jon + Kat said...

I love that you are still running and don't worry about the skanky top! I got weird looks because I taught xbiking until I was about 33 weeks pregnant and my class constantly made fun of my ever-growing belly! I'll tell you what though, it really did make this pregnancy nicer than the first, and my body bounced back way quicker than last time also. Keep it up while you can, but be careful, bleeding made me stop, but walking and water aerobics are excellent alternatives and with your body, bikini's are an ultimate must!

Kathryn said...

If you become a deer hunter, you can make venison jerky to go with your organic produce. Yum.

Em said...

yay! i'm glad you got your first basket. isn't it delectable? we're loving the peaches and milk too. the milk is to die for, right? it's whole milk. who ever drinks whole milk? it's like the best treat ever. i can't wait to tackle the watermelon and canteloupe. and do you know what those beans are called that came in the ziploc bag? travis picked up the basket and can't remember what they're called and i've never seen them. can you eat them raw? cook them? tips?

Aaron and Kalle said...

Go Melanie. I thought I was brave and darring at 23 weeks waterskiing. I did it 4 or 5 times. Funny thing is that was the first no no my doctor told me about. Tell the people looking at you to not stare to hard. You can do anything pregnant as long as you listen to your body. It will tell you when to stop.

BERNOTSKI FAMILY said...

Wow you're a rock star! I hope you found a good "fixed wheel" stroller. That spider wasn't in your apartment, was it?