Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Two Cookbooks

Dinner here has been an unfortunate affair for months. I have had very little appetite, and very little desire to cook. However, Rob's schedule and TJ's bedtime often form a juxtaposition that is not conducive to eating out, and I can only serve crackers and bananas for dinner so many times before the menfolk revolt; and although TJ would happily live on hot dogs, cheese and ketchup, Rob is another story. And I do still have some standards. Things were grim and had to change; but NOTHING sounded good. I would flip through the cookbooks, but I'd already barfed up way too many of my standby-recipes during 1st trimester morning sickness (and I'm still not really over it) to want to try making them--or smelling them, even--again anytime soon. Then one day while hanging out with a friend she mentioned she had dinner in a crockpot at home. Hmmm. I'd almost forgotten about that thing. Not to mention, I only really had like 3-4 recipes that we LIKE that use the crockpot. This got me thinking, though; it was time to refresh the cookbook shelf. It's been a while since I've bought some cookbooks (well, it's been a while since I've cooked), and maybe some new recipes, never before regurgitated, would help us. I researched as only an obsessive, sleep-deprived pregnant woman can, bought the 4 new cookbooks that reviewed the highest, and here are the two that I've kept, used, and liked:

Okay, so since it was the mention of a crockpot that started it all, of course I jumped on this book. This is my first America's Test Kitchen cookbook, and I really like it, but it's also really different than I expected. My experience with a crockpot was limited to throwing something in, and plugging it in. To actually get good results, a little more is required. I did have to buy a new crockpot (which I also researched long and obsessively, buying and returning multiple types; I learned you get what you pay for) since mine is from my college days, sized for one to two people, and not programmable. There is definitely more prep--including pre-browning or microwaving, etc-- required for some of these recipes than I had ever planned on; however, it works for me, because I can choose when I do the prep, such as in the morning before I start feeling rotten, or during naptime. I do tend to feel the worst in the evenings, about when dinner needs to be getting started. Cooking BEFORE that happens is a nice compromise, even if I'm not necessarily eating until 8pm or so; and my men get dinner on time. Plus, it is SO nice to be able to stay late at the park and know that dinner is waiting. So I have to recommend this book. Just know that ATK does not cut any corners; the focus is on results, not on quick and easy prep. Every meal thus far has been delicious. The most common cook-time is 4-6 hours, so those who work full-time will require a programmable pot.

This is the other book I kept. A nice traditionally-organized cookbook of appetizers, sides, breads, desserts, meats, pastas, etc. I really like the ethnic influence (one of the authors lived in Brazil for 18 months), and the recipes are much more varied and lively than I had at first expected; Mormon moms are no longer all about Cream of Chicken soup and casseroles (sigh of relief). The recipes are accessible, easy to serve a family, usually not too much prep, and again, everything we've had has been really good. Plus, it's just fun to see what other families eat, and this book definitely provides a very real snapshot of real families with children and busy lives. So even if you have no interest in the book, totally check out their blog.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

It is so refreshing to find new recipes that you actually want to try! Ever since suscribing to Better Homes and Gardens my family has had some enfusion of actually attempted meals rather than last minute thrown together messes.

Em said...

always fun to get new cookbooks. i'm all about cooking blogs but then we never end up eating the same things twice even if we want to because i forget where the recipe came from. now travis has a memo in his phone to keep track of recipes he likes and where they come from so he can make requests for his birthday and father's day. :) would you say either cookbook would be a good buy for us non-red-meat-eaters?

Babbel Family said...

I ordered that best bites book a couple of days ago. I am so excited to get it!!!