Sunday, January 10, 2010

Knitting

I could go on and on about knitting. Growing up, I had an aunt who would knit. I always thought it was the coolest thing, and wished that I knew how, too. For some reason, though, I never asked her to show me how; I was under the impression that it was much too hard. Hmm.

While living in Little Rock, I was friends with a lady who was a knitter. One day I asked her to teach me, and she spent an evening showing me the two basic stitches most commonly used, the knit and the purl. She also told me about a great website, www.knittinghelp.com
Here you can learn almost anything you need to know about knitting. One of the things I've most wanted to learn to do is Aran cabling. I started this hat for TJ about a week ago. I used this ugly color of yarn, because, honestly, I didn't think I'd be able to make this hat work out on the first try, and I didn't want to "waste" or damage one of my good yarns. Now I'm almost done with it, and thrilled about everything except the color. Rats. Guess I'll just have to make another one...

Remember the beautiful mittens that Bella wore in Twilight? Really, you didn't even notice them? They were the best part of the movie! Well, I really wanted a pair. A quick download of the pattern, and a week later: Ta Dah!

And here is the sweater I made for my friend's little boy. I liked how it turned out so well, now TJ has to have one. I have one in progress on the needles.

See, isn't knitting just the coolest? I told you I could go on and on... My poor husband.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I still think that knitting is rather hard, I can barely master the knit and purl for a basic hat...great work! That little sweater is perfect!

Joe and Emily said...

Whatever you do, you do well. Everything looks great.

Larry Hartzell said...

Holly says she loves your knitting and you have to come back to teach her. And that TJ is just about the cutest boy ever!

Amy said...

You are amazing!! That sweater is beautiful. I seriously need to learn.

Em said...

and the pictures don't even do that sweater justice. in person it's to die for!